- On October 17th, 2023, the City Council approved and adopted an ordinance that instituted limitations on the number of vacation rentals. The following regulations were approved.
5.44.055 Limitation on Number of Vacation Rentals.
- The number of vacation rentals shall not exceed four percent (4%) of the total housing parcels containing completed developed housing units. This number shall not include licensed, permitted and/or entitled hotels and motels, in good standing with the City. This number shall be calculated yearly. Such vacation rental permits exceeding this number shall be rejected and not issued.
- Vacation rental parcels shall not be located within a five hundred (500) foot radius from another vacation rental, measured from property line to property line. Such vacation rental permits shall be rejected and not issued. Notwithstanding, vacation rentals existing and in good standing with the City as of the effective date of this ordinance shall not be denied a Vacation Rental Permit renewal solely on this factor.
- If the vacation rental exists within an Home Owners Association that prohibits same, such vacation rental permit shall be rejected and not issued.
These regulations will go into effect on December 7th.
The following permits are exempt from the limitation:
- 4% cap shall not include licensed, permitted, and/or entitled hotels and motels, in good standing with the City.
- 500ft Radius- vacation rentals existing and in good standing with the city as of the effective date of this ordinance shall not be denied a Vacation Rental
- Permit renewal solely on this factor.
City staff is working diligently to develop updates to the vacation rental permitting processes to enforce the new vacation rental limits. Once more information is available, it will be published on the City’s website. At this time the City will not provide radius calculations for existing or prospective applicants. Further, no waitlist has been established.
For more information on the adopted regulations and requirements, please refer to the Agenda Item Report.