The Desert Hot Springs Municipal Code provides that members of the City Council are currently elected by at-large elections, as each member is elected by the registered voters of the entire city.
On November 1, 2021, the City received a letter asserting that the City's at-large election system may violate the California Voting Rights Act (CVRA) and threatening litigation if the City does not voluntarily transition to a district-based election system for electing its City Council.
On December 8, 2021, the City Council adopted Resolution No. 2021-071 declaring its intent to transition from at-large to by-district elections.
The City will be holding public hearings and public workshops to receive public input on where district lines should be drawn. Those public workshops and public input hearings are outlined below.
Attend a Public Workshop:
The City will host public workshops on the following dates/times. You can attend in-person at City Hall located at 11999 Palm Drive or virtually via the Zoom platform.
- Thursday, February 17, 2022 at 6:00 P.M.
- Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 12:00 P.M.
- Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 6:00 P.M.
- (Join via Zoom | Meeting ID: 864 292 8034 | Passcode: 711832)
Attend a Public Hearing:
The following hearings will be held as a part of regular City Council meetings.
Submit a Public Comment Form or Send an Email:
Draft Map No. 1
Draft Map 1.1
Draft Map No. 2
Draft Map No. 3
Draft Map No. 3.1
District Boundaries Criteria:
In accordance with the Fair Maps Act, district boundaries were drawn using the following criteria in the listed order of priority:
1) Comply with the federal requirements of equal population and the Voting Rights Act
- Demand Letter
- Demographic Profile
- Press Release - February 23, 2022 (Spanish)
- March 15, 2022: Staff Report | Agenda and Video
- March 1, 2022: Staff Report | Agenda and Video
- February 15, 2022: Staff Report | Agenda and Video
- December 8, 2021: Staff Report | Agenda and Video